1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Stories

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WestminsterHens, Jan 18, 2013.

1. WestminsterHens

WestminsterHens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    What is your funniest story about your chicken? Mine was when my chicken, Stripe Neck (a Delaware) laid an egg without a shell onto my lap[​IMG]

2. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Ha! That's a good one. Wait til TheOldChick pops in with some of her Stan stories. Bless his heart, he will be missed.

Anyway, here is one of mine. [​IMG]

In the summer, my pullet, Kitty had to go to the vet for an ear infection. I didn't have a chicken diaper at the time, so had to think fast. We went to Walgreens and bought a package of Huggies baby diapers, and decided we would make that work. We made her a set of "suspenders," if you will, out of turquoise Duct tape. Don't worry, no feathers were plucked in the process. It was quite a sight, though. Everyone in the vet's office was snickering at the fact that we brought a chicken in. Imagine if they had seen the diaper! The vet didn't say a word, he just picked her up, diaper and all, to examine her.

Okay, so that's the background. Now, the video is the funny part. The makeshift diaper held up through the vet visit, and only failed when we let her out of the carrier. Enough explaining, the video will do the talking.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yeah, I have one about Stan.

I was feeding the horses and Stan was waiting for some oats to fall on the ground. Meanwhile I was standing close by making sure he didn't get under the horse's feet. All was going well until a toad hopped into the barn. Stan didn't see it at first because he was intent on getting the grain. The toad, attracted by the flies, took a giant leap and landed by Stan't feet. Scared the rooster so bad, he flipped over backwards and hid behind me.

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I have lots of stories, hard to choose just one. Lets see... have you ever seen a quail emotionally attached to a chicken? Well I had a Coturnix quail get loose one day when a raccoon ripped open a section of wire on our quail pen. I saw the wreckage which included a bunch of feathers so I assumed all were eaten. I walked back towards the house pondering in my mind why everything bad has to happen to me and thinking about how I was going to replace my whole flock when I hear my little bantam rooster, Diego, cackling as loud as he could. Scared thinking the coon was back, I ran back to the coop as fast I could. Lo and behold one little quail survivor was following Diego around, scaring the geebers out of him! It was too funny! What was even funnier was that after I patched the pen up and placed the quail back in it, he would crow ALL DAY LONG! Fearing for my neighbor's nerves, I let the booger out of the cage and he immediately ran up to Diego. Though he had the tendency to squeeze through the bars of the fence and escape, he never did. He even followed Diego into the coop at night and slept under him (Diego was a Silkie and didn't roost so I made him a bed of straw in the corner of the coop). Diego eventually got used to the quail always being around and would protect the little guy when the other chickens got too close. They even shared the food bowl and strode the pasture together! Then one day, the quail was diagnosed with crop impaction and died within 3 days of his diagnosis. Diego was with him the whole time. The stubborn Diego showed how attracted to the little quail he was (they were together for 6 months) when, without any warning and absolutely no obvious symptoms, I found him dead the next day, collapsed in the same spot the quail died the day before. It was true love!

5. Once, a chicken threw up on my friend. I was showing her the chicken, and the crop amazed her (she's kinda a city girl). She started rubbing the crop and the chicken threw up on her!

6. Rowdie

Rowdie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    ChickenCreekRanch.com
    I was a young lad from my earliest memories the family owned, "The Land." The Land was two acres not at all far from home. I remember being around, helping, put up a fence and a garage. Soon there were some ducks and a horse and maybe a dozen chickens. Well the flock suffered a series of dog attacks and was replenished. The first maybe three chickens survived, and the ranks were replenished. The second attack again just a few survived, and just two of the originals. Third attack and just one survived and it was again one of the original hens. She had some gruesome injuries no animal has the right surviving. A pure white gal named, well Snow White of course. The flock was not replenished for some time after that. The farm as it were was host to a horse, two geese that savagely protected my dad two ducks and Snow White.

Construction on the house began and White made quick friends with the workers. They would feed her some of their lunch. They also learned not to get within 15 feet of my dad less they bear the wrath of the geese.

One day I get picked up from school by my dad, an rare thing indeed. He says we need to go pick up the chicken. Of all things we head down to the pound, which struck me as completely odd as I thought only dogs were at the pound. Sure enough there's snow, in a pen up on the wall, frightened as all get out, with the dogs going completely nuts. I carry her out and as we walk past the counter the lady there calls, "Wait! her this is yours too." She hands us an egg. Well as the story goes Snow had taken a nap in the worker's truck and when they stopped for gas she jumped out. a case ensued and when they cornered her in the garage she panicked and laid an egg. My dad told the lady she could have it for breakfast.

Snow White lived many many years and never did have to fear for her life again.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

8. kandrews

kandrews Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Massachussets
    I just cried

9. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012