Chicken stress after long move. ceased laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenchaser10, Oct 19, 2016.

1. chickenchaser10

chickenchaser10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hello BYC,

i recently moved my small flock from Atlanta, GA down to south Florida on 10/10/16. it has been alittle warmer and slightly longer days down here but the chickens are loving their new yard. However, the egg laying has ceased. my normal egg layers laid the first day after the move but i suspect that those eggs were already in the oviduct. the second day only 2 laid. and now none have laid in about a week. im sure this is just from the change in environment but i have also noticed the birds are simultaneously molting. Is this just a coincidence that they would all molt together? Or did the change in temperature/environment cause them to molt? and if so, would the birds not lay until they are done molting?

Thanks

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    In my opinion they just need a few more days to re-start their lessons.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It is completely normal for them to stop laying for a few weeks after a big move. It is also normal for them to molt during this time of year. The molt could also be brought on due to the stress of the move. Laying may resume once they settle in and are done molting. Or they may not lay until spring is on the way again. Both outcomes would be completely normal.

4. chickenchaser10

Mar 31, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    thanks for the inputs.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

How old are they? If they're hitting the 18 month mark, it's totally normal for them to molt and take the winter off. the move may have simply triggered that.

6. chickenchaser10

Mar 31, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    I think that's what's happened. Hopefully they don't take too long. I'm hungry ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by