Chicken struggling to breath!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blue_Myst, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'd really hope I'd never be posting here again. Guess I was wrong [​IMG]

I just put my hens to bed tonight, and one of them is having what appears to be breathing and swallowing trouble. Her age is about 3 years, and she's a Buff Orpington. She had no symptoms prior to this point. This morning she had a little gasping, but later on in the day it got worse, and now she stretches out her neck every few seconds when she takes a breath. I hear a heaving noise (like her breath is obstructed . . .?). She's eating. Not sure about drinking but it's night time when they usually don't drink.

Now she's started coughing, too. I see no discharge.

I tried messaging her throat and crop gently for a few minutes. Didn't seem to help much. Since she can still eat I'm guessing it's a problem with her trachea but I honestly don't know!

Any advice or experience would be appreciated! I love this hen to bits and I'm scared she won't make it through the night!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    have you ever heard of gape worm? could be that is what your seeing in you BO, heres a link that gives information, but instead of using the wormer they are reccomending I'd go with Epernix pour-on because there is no egg withdrawl.. and hope she gets well https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=224991

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  3. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:Thank you so much! I had thought of gapeworm, but I wasn't sure how to cure it.

I'm alarmed at how fast it set in! It only took a day for her to go from beak slightly open to gasping for breath [​IMG] If she makes it through the night, I'll be able to pick something up in the morning. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd go ahead and worm all of your flock at the same time and this is a good wormer for external parasites too. I'll be thinking about you and her and please let us know how she is.. [​IMG]

5. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    I'll try to at least deworm her. I guess I kind of always thought of gapeworm as one of those rare, impossible things, but I probably shouldn't be surprised, especially with all the worms and wild birds popping up this time of year.

Thanks for all your help! [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    your very welcome and your right this time of year it seems alot of issues are popping up. worms/ mites/ lice all seem to be going on right now. so your not alone..

7. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Is her comb bright red or a little bluish? If it gets worse in the evening she could have a respiratory problem. No harm in worming with eprinex. Um with gapeworm you might see a weird strand of mucus that the hen will swallow after coughing it up.

8. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:It's still the normal red color. I'm not ruling out a respiratory problem, but as far as I can tell there hasn't been any nasal discharge, any mucus or loose stools. Maybe it's the early stages. What antibiotic would you suggest for treating a respiratory infection?

9. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Gosh I like injectible Tylan the best. Worm everyone and watch her close. Don't let her lose weight.

10. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:Thanks for the info, I'll look into Tylan! [​IMG]

No chance of her loosing weight quickly . . . thankfully she's one of the plumpest in the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by