Chicken stuck on the roost....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fasschicks, Jul 28, 2014.

1. fasschicks

fasschicks Chirping

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    About 8 days ago, I introduced 3 new Ameraucanas (1 year old) to my flock of 8. For the first couple of days, I left food in the coop for them as they were pretty scared to come out into the run with the rest of the birds. Normally, my girls have access to the coop, run, and an extended outdoor area during the day. But for the first several days, I wanted to imprint on them that the coop was their safe place, so I didn't allow them out into the extended area. After 4 days, I moved the food out into the run and opened up the extended outdoor area beyond the fully enclosed run. I figured with most of the girls out foraging during the day, the 3 new ones would be more comfortable coming out into the run for food and water (they have water in coop also).

Well, after 4 days, I have 2 of the new girls finally coming out on their own without me "gently" encouraging them out to get food/water. The third girl, Ginger, still seems to be stuck on the roost. If I don't physically pick her up and put her out, she would sit there for who knows how long. I waited until 11 a.m. yesterday to see if she would come down on her own and she was still stuck up there. I finally took her out and she stayed there for part of the afternoon, but then went back in and stayed there for the rest of the night. I am not sure how much she is eating/drinking either. Doesn't seem like much.

I am not sure if it is just her personality or her spot in the pecking order. The other birds do a little bit of pecking, but it isn't anything that I would ever be worried about and I am pretty sensitive to that. Should I keep taking her off the roost until she decides it is safe to do so (conditioning) or should I just let her sit there until she is okay with coming out? I have only had chickens for 10 months, so not sure how to approach this. I don't want her to starve herself or go without water. Also, the place I got her from, I don't remember seeing any roosts for the birds, so not sure if she even knows how to get down. She is a pretty hefty girl, so maybe it is easier to get up than down?

Wendy

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    How high are your roosts?

3. fasschicks

fasschicks Chirping

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    I have 2 roosts. Just off the top of my head, the lower one is 24 inches and the other one is probably 42 inches. See picture below. All my girls except my new blue splash sit on the top one. They are staggered so they jump from one to the other then onto the floor. Maybe I am taking for granted that she knows how to get down? I have always picked her up and set her down, but don't think she has ever come down on her own.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I wonder if she thinks it's too high to get down. I noticed mine will use the lower roosts to get up high, but will not use them on the way down. Maybe try removing the top one or lowering them if possible. If a chicken that size jumps too far down you risk leg/feet injuries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: