Chicken Stuff

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Linda in San Diego, May 18, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Ok, today at Big Lots I found a sign that says "Fresh Eggs" and shows a hen with eggs. The colors are perfect to match my coop colors and it is actually mounted on real slate! I have to get pictures tomorrow. But the thing I keep looking for is an egg basket. What would GGma Halter have used? GGma Zoe had others to do that kind of work, LOL. Gma and Gram might have had chickens, I want something official to collect my eggs and carry 10 whole feet into my kitchen, silly yes, but priceless.

2. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    There are actually egg baskets, which many people then used, and it's not silly to want one! [​IMG]

Of course, I have seen people balance them in their aprons back to the kitchen, too. [​IMG]

There are wire ones, which are very practical, and ones that looked like these:

Baskets

I have one just like the one on the left, which is very old, but it was years before I thought to use it for eggs.

Good luck, I hope you find what you'd like. [​IMG]

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

They have a lot of baskets on ebay. I did a search for you...

CLICK HERE

My mom bought me a red wire basket that is shaped like a hen. That's what I hold my eggs in.

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I found a cheap Easter Basket at Habitat for 25 cents, works great for me.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  5. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    My grandma used her apron. My kids know to make a big pocket with their tee shirts to carry stuff, similar to their great grandma.

6. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Thanks all! I will start looking - I have a while, the Delightful Dozen are only 4 weeks old LOL

7. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Here is a shot with most of the Delighful Dozen together in the shady corner while they consider checking the rest of their run out. [​IMG]

8. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    I've seen them at Kobe's swap meet.
    wire shaped like ...you guessed it...a chicken.

9. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Might just have to go to Kobes - when it cools down, I am such a wimp in hot weather - I am sitting in front of two fans right now!

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Here is my egg basket.

[​IMG]

I love collecting eggs and having a basket for them to go in. I keep a basket on my counter top too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by