Chicken Submission!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenLil123, Jan 17, 2013.

1. ChickenLil123

ChickenLil123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    This is so cute when I go up to my birds they will do this... hunker down, spread wings and ask to be pet.
    Sooo adorable! Never thought I would say that about a bird!
    I also think I am spoiling them a bit , when I go to the back door they come running as fast as their two little feet will carry them to be fed treats! (Leftovers) Of course, the dog our little yorkie gets into heated debates with them to share food, but the birds always gang up on her and win! Its really kinda fun to watch a dog back down to birds!

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Umm, they think that you are the 'big rooster' in the coop.

3. ChickenLil123

Jun 26, 2012
    Huh! So....is this normal.....behavior....

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Yes, it is normal behavior. It is referred to as squatting and in young pulllets is an indicator that they are getting ready to lay eggs. It is indeed how a hen signals a rooster that she is ready. They don't have scented candles to light.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup. That's an invitation to climb aboard and get 'er done.

When any of my girls squat for me, I give 'em a quick skritch between her shoulder blades, another at the base of her tail feathers, then a pat on the back with "Good girl!" cracks me up when they stand up and give a shake to rearrange her "bed feathers."

6. ChickenLil123

Jun 26, 2012
    Funny! Thanks for lettin me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by