Chicken Sudden Death Syndrome

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cacique500, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I've been seeing a lot of questions recently about chicken sudden death syndrome and unfortunately I recently experienced this myself.

I have a very good video system installed and thought others might benefit from seeing this. Omelette was one of my favorites, a 3 year old Buff Orpington. She had been acting completely normally, and in the video before this one, she was sitting in the nest box doing her thing, moving around, picking up pine shavings, etc. The only good news is she didn't suffer and went VERY quickly. RIP Omelette...

*** Graphic Warning - this video shows the death of a chicken ***

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing the video.

3. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Wow that was quick and by the looks of it totally unexpected even for your poor chicken.
    Thank you for sharing, and so sorry for your loss.

4. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Wow, could that be a heart attack?

5. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I think either a heart attack or an aneurysm - actually thinking the latter because as you watch the video you'll see her shake her head a couple of times before it hits.

6. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Too bad you couldn't have had her autopsied by your local extension service, and shown them the video. Not often you get something like that on film.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by