Chicken Sudden Paralysis

Shireen

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 8, 2012
I have a hen who cannot stand. I found her lying on her side. Her poop is runny. This morning she was fine.

This chicken is around 9 years old. She's my girl, a survivor. I don't want her to die like this.

This is the 3rd chicken in 5 months that has had these same symptoms. The other 2 died. One other chicken suddenly died but the symptoms weren't the same. But she seems to have started everything.

I don't believe it's an injury. I don't feel anything and what are the odds of 3 chickens getting the same symptoms? I don't believe she's egg bound because she hasn't laid an egg in 3 years.

If it's a disease, the older chickens are getting it, not the younger ones.

My flock and coop is infested with mites. I've done lots of things to try to eliminate the mites but nothing is working. Now that it's dead of winter, there's not much I can do. So, maybe it's related to that.

What do I do? I did notice that when I press on her abdomen toward the rear, she starts weakly kicking her legs. Maybe it hurts.

It's going to help to know your location. We don't need a map to your house, just the state or province and country.

Are they mites or lice? Have you tried to make a positive identification? Some people call lice mites and mites lice and they are two different things. Spinosad, not available in every country, can kill mites which live deep in a coop and come out at night to reduce the blood volume of the chickens. And yes, it causes anemia and death over time.

Another possibility is some kind of environmental toxin, from bad water to mold. Knowing your location can give us a clue to this.

Where your chickens spend their time is helpful. Compost piles, deep litter that harbors anaerobic bacteria can have insects that are contaminated with botulism toxin. Are there machines in the area that leak fluids onto the soil where the chickens scratch for grit?

Lastly, lymphoid leucosis, a common avian virus, causes these symptoms, and some strains affect older chickens rather than the young ones. It can cause multiple tumors on organs and it also affects the sciatic nerve and causes paralysis.

Avian flue is a possibility, but your location would tell us if that's a possibility.

The only way to tell what is killing your chickens is a necropsy. We could also help with that information if we knew your LOCATION.

Have you gone out at night to your coop and wiped a section of roost perch with a white rag to verify active mites?

Elector PSP is one treatment that works very well to kill mites, but you have to be willing to spend the money. It isn't cheap, you only get an eight ounce bottle, but it's highly concentrated so it goes a long, long way. My eight ounce bottle has lasted six years. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MI-KO424jo_AIVAxCtBh0XwQszEAQYASABEgI9IfD_BwE

It's also safe for your chickens, and you may dip them in it or spray their legs, which is as far as I'd recommend while it's still cold.

Here is your contact info for your state lab where they can test your chickens to see what killed them.

Animal Health Laboratories​

The Animal Health Laboratory (AHL) primary objective has been to support the veterinarians, livestock producers, Idaho Department of Fish and Game, Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal Plant Health Inspection Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services.

2300 Old Penitentiary Road Boise, ID 83712

Phone: 208-332-8570
Fax: 208-334-4619
Email: [email protected]

Open Monday through Friday – 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Closed on State holidays​

I'm pretty sure they are mites.

My flock and coop is infested with mites. I've done lots of things to try to eliminate the mites but nothing is working. Now that it's dead of winter, there's not much I can do. So, maybe it's related to that.
Getting rid of external parasites can be a challenge, I'm not sure what you have tried, but don't give up. The bugs are overtaking your birds.

Even in very cold weather, you can still dust your birds if spraying is not an option.

You can find Permethrin based poultry dust at most feed stores or order online.
Put the dust in a sock and use it like a powder puff and dust each bird, focusing on the vent, under the wings, etc. Being in the sock you have a little control over the dust and it comes out pretty fine, work that dust all the way through the feathers and down to the skin. Wear gloves if you wish.

Spray, even in winter can be used in their housing. Target your spray into the joints and crevices of roosting bars where mites like to hide. OR you can apply the dust. Rub it into the wood, cracks and crevices. This will help reduce mite numbers. Repeat application in 5 day intervals. Re dust your birds in 5 day intervals.
Repeats are absolutely necessary to help break the lifecycle of the parasites so you can eventually wipe them out.

I have a hen who cannot stand. I found her lying on her side. Her poop is runny. This morning she was fine.

This chicken is around 9 years old. She's my girl, a survivor. I don't want her to die like this.

This is the 3rd chicken in 5 months that has had these same symptoms. The other 2 died. One other chicken suddenly died but the symptoms weren't the same. But she seems to have started everything.

I don't believe it's an injury. I don't feel anything and what are the odds of 3 chickens getting the same symptoms? I don't believe she's egg bound because she hasn't laid an egg in 3 years.

If it's a disease, the older chickens are getting it, not the younger ones.

What do I do? I did notice that when I press on her abdomen toward the rear, she starts weakly kicking her legs. Maybe it hurts.
9 is very old for a chicken, but mites are infamous in my coop for causing death. we tried everything; placing herbs in and around the coop, making our own sprays, but then we were advises to use Pestene and within 2 days the mites were gone. you just have to spend a bit of time sprinkling it in the coop, nests and rubbing it into the chickens back + underneath their wings. i only use it when we have mites, but if you’re willing to, you can put it in every time you clean out your coop.

Back
Top Bottom