Chicken suddenly died.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kayla.leath, Apr 12, 2011.

1. kayla.leath

kayla.leath New Egg

Apr 12, 2011
    I went out to my coop thismornin and found one of my chickens laying on its side with its eyes closed. I thought it was dead. When I picked it up it opened its eyes, ruffled its feathers, and curled its neck back. I brought it in the house and about 20 minutes later it died. I hadn't seen any symptoms before thismornin, it was just all of the sudden. Does anyone know what could have happened?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I witnessed one of my chickens die suddenly and it seemed like a stroke or heart attack. But it is hard to say with your chicken. The tough thing with birds is that their symptoms are frequently not obvious until it is too late. Try to watch your other chickens in the coop for anything unusual, just in case it could be something contagious.

3. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    So sorry.... [​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sometimes these things just happen with chickens for no reason, another good reason to not get so attached to livestock. shake it off sorry it happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by