Chicken suddenly having trouble walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kmarshall1218, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Kmarshall1218

Kmarshall1218 Hatching

Jan 23, 2019
    Indiana
    hello! I am relatively new to the chicken world. I have a young mixed breed chicken that is suddenly having trouble walking. Yesterday she was ambulatory, eating and drinking and acting normal. Today, I found her on her left side in her coop having trouble getting up. She attempts to walk, however cannot hold balance and falls awkwardly. She will not eat or drink when held upright. Otherwise she is alert and does fight when I try to pick her up and hold her. I did not see any lice or mites on her. She does not have any respiratory symptoms either. Any suggestions?! I really would like to help her if I can!

2. SBFChickenGirl

SBFChickenGirl Songster

Nov 12, 2018
    Had a chicken who had the exact same thing going on. She had a vitamin B deficiency. I gave her some vitamins in her water that I got at the farm store. I'll tag some others who will be able to help you more.
    @casportpony
    @aart

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  3. NashvilleLuLu

NashvilleLuLu In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2018
    I am new to chickens and I had the same thing happen yesterday! But we have a mess over here, which included a rooster who died from a respiratory problem and now, in the middle of winter, red mites.

That all being said, I don't know what's wrong with our girl. I've moved her in the house. We gave her Vet Rx yesterday, B12 today. I am giving her water through a syringe. I don't know what else to do. Suggestions are welcomed!

4. wleigh1021

wleigh1021 Songster

Jan 16, 2016
    New Jersey
    If the vitamins do not work then it is most likely mareks

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old is the bird?
    What all and how exactly are you feeding?
    Are they free range or confined to coop and run?
    Can you post a pic or video(upload to youtube or vimeo then link here)?
    Do not syringe liquids without reading this first.

Where in this world are you located?
    Climate is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-1-23_16-32-46.png

6. Kmarshall1218

Kmarshall1218 Hatching

Jan 23, 2019
    Indiana
    I'm unsure of how old the chicken is, however the breeder I got her from said she will lay in the spring. We are feeding her and her litter mates starter chick feed. They also get some grit every once and a while. They have a coop, however, the coop area is fenced in with a free range area to go out and run around in.

aart likes this.
  7. Kmarshall1218

Kmarshall1218 Hatching

Jan 23, 2019
    Indiana
    Thanks. Do you recommend Poly-visol or just vitamin B 12 from an animal feed store?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    So maybe just about 4 months old?
    :D

Best vitamins for chickens are Poultry Nutri Drench. Can be had at any farm store.

9. Kmarshall1218

Kmarshall1218 Hatching

Jan 23, 2019
    Indiana
    Yes probably around 4 months old. Okay, I'm about to have a baby so have the Polyvisol here I will try first. If that doesn't work I'll get the Poultry Nutri Drench.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Does it have iron?
    I don't think you're supposed to give iron to birds.... @casportpony ?

casportpony likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: