Chicken suddenly won’t put any weight on leg

Southfl

Hatching
Mar 11, 2022
We have a buff orpington hen a little over one year old that suddenly won’t put any weight on one of her legs. The chickens occasionally flew over the fence (approx 4-4.5ft chain link) and into the neighbors yard. Today when I went outside, the injured bird was standing on one leg on the other side of the fence. After I picked it up, it just lays down and will occasionally hop around, but is now getting picked on by the other birds. When standing, it’s injured foot is curled back so the top of its foot is touching the ground. I inspected and felt its leg and did not feel or see anything. I’m assuming it could have landed wrong after flying the fence but am not sure. I have isolated it by itself In the chicken coop and given it food and water. Any suggestions on what else to examine or check? Can leg injuries heal up with rest? Any advice on how to proceed would be helpful.

Thanks

We have a buff orpington hen a little over one year old that suddenly won’t put any weight on one of her legs. The chickens occasionally flew over the fence (approx 4-4.5ft chain link) and into the neighbors yard. Today when I went outside, the injured bird was standing on one leg on the other side of the fence. After I picked it up, it just lays down and will occasionally hop around, but is now getting picked on by the other birds. When standing, it’s injured foot is curled back so the top of its foot is touching the ground. I inspected and felt its leg and did not feel or see anything. I’m assuming it could have landed wrong after flying the fence but am not sure. I have isolated it by itself In the chicken coop and given it food and water. Any suggestions on what else to examine or check? Can leg injuries heal up with rest? Any advice on how to proceed would be helpful.

Thanks
They can. You won't always feel an injury in any obvious manner. If you don't feel anything abnormal on the leg, try and feel the hip next. A lot of times an injury will feet hot to the touch. Even a pulled or sprained muscle can feel like that on people and chickens.

Thank you for the reply. I did pick her up and her chest area and probably lower felt very warm. I figured it was just warm from her laying on the pine straw. I will check again tomorrow. Based on your post it is possibly the hip area that was warm.

Thank you for the reply. I did pick her up and her chest area and probably lower felt very warm. I figured it was just warm from her laying on the pine straw. I will check again tomorrow. Based on your post it is possibly the hip area that was warm.
If it isn't the leg then it is likely the hip. I would separate her for healing.

I could be wrong, but I do not think it is the leg as I do not feel or see anything obvious. Her toes are also curled back if that means anything. Going to put her in her own dog crate tomorrow. For tonight, she is isolated in the coop. Hopefully some rest will help her heal. These chickens have not had any health issues in the past. The chicken was completely normal a couple hours before so for now I am thinking it is a landing injury from jumping the fence.

I could be wrong, but I do not think it is the leg as I do not feel or see anything obvious. Her toes are also curled back if that means anything. Going to put her in her own dog crate tomorrow. For tonight, she is isolated in the coop. Hopefully some rest will help her heal. These chickens have not had any health issues in the past. The chicken was completely normal a couple hours before so for now I am thinking it is a landing injury from jumping the fence.
Most likely.

Update: been exactly one week and it appears there is slight improvement, but not much. She is appears as if she is not in any pain and acts normal, just still cannot put much weight on her leg. She has been isolated in a dog crate, but yesterday we let her outside for the first time. I have attached a link to a YouTube video of her limping. Going to continue to keep her isolated for the most part and see if she improves. If not much improvement in another week, just going to let her back in with the flock to see how she does. All in all, still seems like a very happy chicken.

Yes, we isolated her in a cage for about 2 weeks. After two weeks, we let her back with the rest of the flock. She still had a noticeable limp for a while, but seemed to heal. She still has a very slight limp mainly noticeable when she runs. Other than that, she has healed completely and is a happy chicken. She always acted in good spirits even with a little limp.

Back
Top Bottom