Chicken Suffering or in Shock?

donagill

Hatching
Aug 8, 2016
My 2 month old chicken was chased by my dog and was hiding all day. I thought she was a goner when I could not find her and she would be out overnight, but the next day she came out and when I found her she was very traumatized and had a little bruising on her back and sides. She does not trust me very much yet and would usually run if I tried to go near her but now she just lets me pick her up. When I pick her up she has her legs stick straight out underneath her and she has very bad balance when I put her down. I have been keeping her in a dog crate with food and water. She will drink the water if I put her head to it but otherwise I have not seen her go near it. She is alert, but sometimes she will keep an eye closed for a while. She will open it if I go near her (it does not look to be injured). Is she suffering or still in shock? It has been a day since I have found her.

My 2 month old chicken was chased by my dog and was hiding all day. I thought she was a goner when I could not find her and she would be out overnight, but the next day she came out and when I found her she was very traumatized and had a little bruising on her back and sides. She does not trust me very much yet and would usually run if I tried to go near her but now she just lets me pick her up. When I pick her up she has her legs stick straight out underneath her and she has very bad balance when I put her down. I have been keeping her in a dog crate with food and water. She will drink the water if I put her head to it but otherwise I have not seen her go near it. She is alert, but sometimes she will keep an eye closed for a while. She will open it if I go near her (it does not look to be injured). Is she suffering or still in shock? It has been a day since I have found her.

Welcome to BYC.

It sounds like your chick has been injured - you are seeing bruises and she is having trouble walking/balance problems.
Separate her and keep her warm, check her over well to make sure she has no cuts/wounds. If she does gently flush and apply plain neosporin or vetericyn.

Leg injuries/sprains can take a few weeks to heal. Offer her some wet chick starter and vitamins in her water for a couple of days.

Let us know how she is doing.

Thank you for the feedback and today she is breathing heavily but is more alert. She does not close her eye anymore and will only drink water if I put it on her beak. I am worried she has a broken bone that I can not see since only having a couple of bruises would not make her this ill. She will not stand longer than a minute and will lay of her side most of the time now. She also has no interest in food and will stick her legs straight out when held.

Thank you for the feedback and today she is breathing heavily but is still alert. When she breaths out there is a clicking noise. She does not close her eye anymore and will only drink water if I put it on her beak. I am worried she has a broken bone that I can not see since only having a couple of bruises would not make her this ill. She will not stand longer than a minute and will lay of her side most of the time now. She also has no interest in food and will stick her legs straight out when held.

Paste

I'm sorry she is not improving.

She may have some internal injuries or broken bones as you suspect.
Other than taking her to a vet for examination, try to make her as comfortable as possible. Try to keep her hydrated.

I brought her to the vet and he said she has an illness since before I bought her ( two weeks ago). She will stay overnight and will hopefully improve but is not likely. He said that the trauma of being out overnight has most likely sped up the process of the illness. Very sad but I still hope that she will end up okay.

I brought her to the vet and he said she has an illness since before I bought her ( two weeks ago). She will stay overnight and will hopefully improve but is not likely. He said that the trauma of being out overnight has most likely sped up the process of the illness. Very sad but I still hope that she will end up okay.

I'm sorry to hear that she has an illness.
Did the vet tell you what it is?

Sometimes chickens can have underlying illness and stress like being chased by the dog/being frightened can cause complications.

Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom