Chicken suicide

Aroostertoomany

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2022
Does anyone know why a perfectly healthy normal rooster would just frantically start flying around the coop radically and fly straight into the wire and pretty much kill himself. I lost my rhode island red last night and i cant figure out why he did this. Hes never acted like that before. He was still alive but extremely hurt. He was gasping for air and could not move at all so my husband put him down so he would suffer. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know why a perfectly healthy normal rooster would just frantically start flying around the coop radically and fly straight into the wire and pretty much kill himself. I lost my rhode island red last night and i cant figure out why he did this. Hes never acted like that before. He was still alive but extremely hurt. He was gasping for air and could not move at all so my husband put him down so he would suffer. Any thoughts?
I'm sorry for your loss.

The only way to find out if it was disease/something of a health issue would be to have a necropsy. If you still have the body, then refrigerate it and call your state lab to make arrangements for analysis. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

As others have suggested, getting spooked by a predator is a good possibility.
I've had Racoons or even an Owl spook my roosters off their roost. A lot of times you never see that predator since they can fly off or something like Racoons, just slip away and hide.
A game cam set up may help i.d. if there's a problem. I usually have one set up every night just to see what's going on out of view from my normal security cameras. You'd be surprised what you might see.

Back
Top Bottom