Chicken "summer home"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Foggy Hermit, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Foggy Hermit

Foggy Hermit New Egg

Sep 20, 2011
    We have 6 golden coments (June 2011). We have a cottage we spend time at in the summer and we were thinking on building a "summer coop" (not insulated, one nest box) and bringing the girls along with us. Has anyone done this before? Would this be really disruptive to them?

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I'd imagine you could, but you probably would have to have a run of some kind attached to the VacationCoop. If you let them out without a run, They might just take off looking for their 'House'. Also, they might not give you any eggs for a while, until they have figured out their new surroundings. As far as insulation goes, who needs it? My birds get along fine without it.
    Jack

3. Foggy Hermit

Foggy Hermit New Egg

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks Jack. I don't want to stress them out too much, it would be just nice to have them near. We have their "permanent" home insulated, not heated because sometimes it gets pretty cold here (Nova Scotia), but looking at your picture...gets just as cold there! This is my first time with hens, and I'm a bit of a worrier, but they have had a great winter and have laid 6 eggs, almost everyday since October. I am really enjoying these little birds, who would have thought! Thanks for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by