Chicken surviving Mareks

Trishamn

Chirping
Jul 15, 2017
Hello, so I suspected that my chickens may be Mareks positive typically I get older hens that are at point of lay so I've only had one casualty. I did add a silky and a d'ucckle about 6 months ago, the silky went blind (but is doing fine since she's pretty pushy) and my d'uccle started to get wobbly and couldn't stand. I brought her into my house and have been nursing her for 3 weeks straight, I've been giving her st. John's wort in distilled water, Nutridrench (for the lysine and she was having trouble eating), a product called dermanerve and vitamins in yogurt mixed with feed to make things less messy. It was very touch and go for quite a while, especially when she developed wry neck and wasn't moving around a lot, I seriously thought about taking her to my vet so that she could be culled humanely. I've also been massaging her legs 2x a day with Heels Traumeel. 3 days ago she untwisted her neck and started eating and drinking voraciously. I've been holding her up so that she can eat standing and now she's at the point where she can hold herself up. She's still having issues walking but I'm pretty sure that will come. I posed a video of Kazoo, there was so little that was encouraging on the web I thought I'd post it. Just an FYI, it is very time consuming to get your bird through this, so be prepared that it takes some work. It's been about 3 weeks.

20220107_173834.jpg

Attachments

• 20220107_173741.jpg
    20220107_173741.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 9
I am going through this also. It's been two months and still nursing the first hen. I lost a rooster and the second hen also survived and is already back outside. I did things a little different though. I did poultry cell in eggs, tuna and a vitamin b. Complex pill. There were times I thought I should have her put down. She was paralyzed on her side. I was hand feeding and giving her water but she made it. She still can't walk I made her a sling using a plastic bin that I put her in throughout the day. She is also inside so take her out a few times a day for a few minutes. The attached link is how I did the sling if your interested. She can stand now but can't get all the way up to walk properly but she still gets around.

Hello, so I suspected that my chickens may be Mareks positive typically I get older hens that are at point of lay so I've only had one casualty. I did add a silky and a d'ucckle about 6 months ago, the silky went blind (but is doing fine since she's pretty pushy) and my d'uccle started to get wobbly and couldn't stand. I brought her into my house and have been nursing her for 3 weeks straight, I've been giving her st. John's wort in distilled water, Nutridrench (for the lysine and she was having trouble eating), a product called dermanerve and vitamins in yogurt mixed with feed to make things less messy. It was very touch and go for quite a while, especially when she developed wry neck and wasn't moving around a lot, I seriously thought about taking her to my vet so that she could be culled humanely. I've also been massaging her legs 2x a day with Heels Traumeel. 3 days ago she untwisted her neck and started eating and drinking voraciously. I've been holding her up so that she can eat standing and now she's at the point where she can hold herself up. She's still having issues walking but I'm pretty sure that will come. I posed a video of Kazoo, there was so little that was encouraging on the web I thought I'd post it. Just an FYI, it is very time consuming to get your bird through this, so be prepared that it takes some work. It's been about 3 weeks.
Hi wanted to see how she's doing. I have the same situation and the vets want me to put her down. At one point she was walking and then declined. Could you please give me the names and the amount of meds, vitamins and whatever you used for her to recover! I love my winter ! I feel like she's loosing muscle mass in her legs too.

I can use all the help here!

Back
Top Bottom