Chicken swallowed bandaid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i was just out in the pen and Penny my EE pecked the back of my ankle. What i didn't realize right away was that she pulled the bandaid off when she did that. i was in the pen next door when i saw her buddy Grace fighting with her over something. By the time i got back and tried to grab her, she swallowed it.

Is this going to harm her, or pass right through? Do i need to race her to the vet? Any help would be appreciated.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

She should be okay...

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    This, too shall pass. [​IMG]

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    [​IMG] Thank you!

But what on earth is she thinking? i'm out buying her organic veggies and mail-order mealworms, and she's snatching a skanky old bandage off my leg? ? ?

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well if it hurts her on it's way out......she is prepared [​IMG] it will be fine ! Its amazing what they will eat !

6. 3chickensinHamden

3chickensinHamden New Egg

Nov 16, 2011
    So glad that you posted this because my band aid fell off my finger and into the coop today and my girl Lucy snatched it and swallowed it before I could get into the coop and retrieve it. I've been worried all afternoon that it may get stuck and I've accidentally killed her! Thank you.

7. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I guess your hen liked the feel of the bandaid in her beak and decided it was edible! My hens love to styrofoam when they can get it because I think it reminds them of bread. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by