1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken swallowed hair tie yesterday. Is this poop normal? Or should I be concerned.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmlew99, Aug 10, 2014.

1. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Buff Brahma, 15 weeks old, weight is pretty normal compared to my other standard sized bird

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Eating, drinking, flying, pooping, dust bathing, doing all the things she usually does

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    She's been acting normally

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Not that I can see, I'm not sure what is happening on the inside

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    She grabbed my hair tie, ran around with it, and finally swallowed it. This happened yesterday at noon. [​IMG]

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She has had constant access to Grower/Finisher crumbles, poultry grit, and fresh water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    At 9 this morning I noticed that inside the coop there was a little bit of what looked like blood inside someone's poop. She shares the coop with two other chickens, so I don't know who it came from. It looked like this.[​IMG]
    Otherwise the poop has been completely normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    I haven't administered anything. I've just watched her very closely to make sure she's acting normally, which she is.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I am not able to bring her to a vet, I just want to know if she might be okay.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Pine shavings inside a portable A-Frame Coop, with access to a small chicken yard with grass all day long.

2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    ok first off why is their shavings with the poop did you scoop it up with some or possibly the chicken ate it? I would say if she's acting fine and has been eating and drinking I wouldn't be concerned I mean the looks pretty normal keep an eye on the poop if it comes out different colors other then green and white post a picture and ask around because its abnormal

3. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    The poop was in shavings, I just moved it to the newspaper to get a better look. Thanks, I'll continue to keep an eye on her

4. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    oh ok sounds great she should be fine and it should just pass but immediately post if her act changes!

-aqua

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by