Chicken Sweaters? i Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jimminy427, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jimminy427

Jimminy427 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    I really need ideas for chicken sweaters! we are getting below zero temps here and im worried about my babies. any ideas or links please?

2. kazoo1111

kazoo1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Are they legit babies? And the chickens (as long as they're not babies) will be fine in the coup, just rub some vaseline on their combs and waddles to protect them against frostbite. I put a heat lamp out on mine, too. If they are chicks I suggest taking them inside a garage with a heat lamp or if your basement isn't nice with carpet and all that take them down their.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Many areas of the country have not got ABOVE freezing for weeks, and those chickens are fine. Your birds have a built in sweater of down and feathers, and they'll be just fine. As long as they have a place to be dry and out of the wind, they can easily handle sub freezing temps. Overheating a chicken is much more of a risk than cold.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Agree. You may actually do more harm then good by putting something like a sweater on them. A sweater would restrict the natural fluffing of the feathers that birds do to keep warm. The fluffing traps warmth in the feathers next to the body. As mentioned, a good coop that keeps them dry and protected from wind/rain/snow is the most important thing.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto!

Ditto!

Make sure they have good ventilation without strong drafts on the roost area.
    Lots of liquid water all day long.
    I feed scratch in the late afternoon so they go to roost with full crops.
    Mine are not going outside at all the last 3 days, so I give them some extra treats to scratch for in the coop to keep them moving and busy.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  6. Jimminy427

Jan 14, 2013
    Yes they are and Our coop doesn't have good protection from the wind either so that's why I was wandering about ideas @aart @cafarmgirl @donrae @kazoo1111

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Where are you located? How old are they? Are they fully feathered? Where are they being kept right now? You really haven't given enough information for anyone to be able to help you. The main thing is, you're not going to do them any favors by putting sweaters on them to keep them warm. I think it would mess up their natural ability to fluff up and keep themselves warm (assuming they have feathers). If they are fully feathered and being kept in an outdoor coop, you'd be better off - both financially and convenience-wise - by putting plastic or a tarp around the open areas. If you mean that the wind will blow onto your coop because there are no trees protecting it, don't worry about it - they'll be fine. I live in MN where it has been -0 for weeks on end, my coop has all kinds of "ventilation", and my chickens are just fine. If they're not feathered out yet, do you have them in a brooder with a light? If so, if you think they'll get too cold put in another light. Chickens weren't made to dress up.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Do you mean that the coop itself is drafty? Some ventilation is a must but you don't want birds sitting in drafts in very cold weather. Even tacking up tarps on the walls to block drafts will work.

I agree with bobbi-j, some more info about your birds would help as well, especially what age they are.

9. Jimminy427

Jan 14, 2013
    okay people,
    let me rephrase my thread...

I am ONLY asking for ideas for chicken sweaters! I did NOT ask for you guys to question me about everything and you DONT need to know how old my chickens are or how my coop is to give me ideas!!! I know that a chicken can over heat! im careful abut that! and I only use sweaters maybe 1-2 times a year. so lay off! if you don't have an idea then don't post on here please

-jimminy427

@kazoo1111 @donrae @cafarmgirl @aart @bobbi-j

10. kazoo1111

kazoo1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Well I really am not trying to sound mean and sorry if I offended you but I think we're all just trying to say that there are better alternatives than putting a sweater on a chicken to keep them warm. I was asking how old they were because if they are babies they probably shouldn't be outside especially if they don't have a mother.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by