Chicken Sweaters & Other Home-Made chicken crafts

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by mamakat74, Oct 25, 2013.

1. mamakat74

mamakat74 Out Of The Brooder

After reading about rescued hens sometimes needing sweaters, I decided to give it a shot at making some in various sizes, especially after I saw how bad moulting CAN be for some. I didn't want to get stuck in the middle of winter with an injured or ill chicken and not have something extra around to keep them warm.

The first one I did was based on the Little Hens Rescue pattern. But after attempting to try it on my Harriet, I decided these should not HAVE to be pulled over the head. So subsequent ones I have made have buttons at the top, too, so I can put it on side to side. I have not tried any of these on my girls yet because there has been no need. But it has been quite enjoyable making them. Here are a few:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Has anyone else done any hand-made comfort projects or cute crafts for their chickens?

1 person likes this.
  2. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Those are so cute! How long does it take you to make one of them? I personally haven't made anything like this for my chickens, but I did just order two chicken diapers for my soon-to-be house chicken from someone here on BYC. I might try my hand at making them myself if I ever need more, but we'll see.

I'd love to see a picture of one of your sweaters on your chickens. I bet it would look so cute! [​IMG]

3. mamakat74

It takes me a few days of working on them at night. I will post a picture of Harriet in one of them, since I'm certain that Madeline won't cooperate!

4. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd also love to see some chicken related crafts people have done! I am attempting Little Hen Rescue's sweater pattern but I have been looking all over for other ideas, whether it be sewing/knitting/crocheting/whatever!

5. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

Your sweaters look great by the way! Awesome job! Love to see some pictures of your chooks wearing them [​IMG]

6. mamakat74

Thank you. I made some for chicks, too, because I had a sick chick here. But it was hard to keep it on a chick so I gave up. He was just so tiny.

7. faerieannette

faerieannette Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    I will buy some from you! how much?!

8. mamakat74

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been in the middle of moving across 3 states with all my critters, including my chickens!

I really don't know what to charge for the sweaters. Anyone have any input on what a fair price would be?

9. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

I have made a few aprons to protect their backs from roosters, but I saw little chicken hats[​IMG] that I would love to try and make.

10. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I was having this mental image of one of those awful sweaters you used to see in the 80s with the batwing arms and a giant chook in stranded knitting. This makes much more sense :D

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by