Chicken Taj Mahal!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by triggfamily5, Aug 16, 2010.

1. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    New Coop is being built:

[​IMG]

It's a 12 x 16 shed, my DH is started calling it the Chicken Taj Mahal, but now it's just the Chicken Barn. They will get either 12 x 10 or 12 x 12, and the rest will be food storage and brooder area.

This is what they have right now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This will be demolished and redone for the geese:
    [​IMG]

I've had chicken for over 5 years, and it's time to upgrade so their more happy and lay more eggs [​IMG]

Anyone have pictures of the inside of this size coop? I want to maximize the space, so I am going to have the roosts over a littered dropping board and the nest boxes under that.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow, they're going to be in heaven when they get to move into the new barn! Looks like it'll be great!

3. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    [​IMG] Your chickens are MOVIN ON UP. They will be H-A-P-P-Y!!! [​IMG] Super Dupper job! Can't wait to see the finished project!

4. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Looks great. I think the girls are gonna love it!!

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Mine is about 12x15, and here are some pictures of how we laid it out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is our final floor plan:
    [​IMG]

6. NT

NT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Orange County
    Trigfamily5 I would be happy living in anything if I had that view! But the new coop looks great too. Luck birds to have a great house and a great location [​IMG]

7. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    I wanna live there! I want that VIEW!!! [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Your chickens are going to LOVE that!

Side note: I've been to WY a couple times. Holy cow, the wind! Anyhow, DH and I had a great laugh as we're strolling through town with our coats on (in May) and the locals were wandering around in shorts and T-shirts. [​IMG] We sure stuck out like sore thumbs!

9. triggfamily5

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    Quote:The wind is a major factor for building things out here..(and the snow and cold)

Don't feel bad, I am from Virginia Beach VA and have lived out here for 9 years. I have always, and probably always will, wear long johns on my legs and an extra undershirt on until the temperature reaches over 65, with low wind on a regular basis. I don't have the tolerance for the cool/cold and wind... Heck, it's August and we were in the 70's last Saturday when we started this and I was wearing sweatpants, a sweatshirt and a jacket most of the day.. (jacket came off when the wind died down)

10. triggfamily5

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    Quote:Mine is about 12x15, and here are some pictures of how we laid it out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50766_cimg2765.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50766_cimg2766.jpg
    And here is our final floor plan:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50766_scan0031_-_copy.jpg

Thanks for the extra ideas [​IMG] I have all over this board trying to get the perfect set up in mind [​IMG]

DH and I were talking last night, and we were discussing making a loft and setting up a brooding area on top so there isn't any wasted space [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by