chicken taken by dog...my photogenic avatar

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by peeboo, Jan 20, 2009.

1. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    I knew i was more than lucky to be free ranging 11 birds w/o incident for almost a year. last night i came home and one of my sex links were missing. i searched thinking it got dark before she had a chance to get to the coup, highly unlikely since she's usually the first one home. well then i discovered large mounds of feathers strews about the ground alongside my house. we searched all night for hours, bringing our dogs out to see if they could catch a scent. no avail, driving around the neighborhood thinking MAYBE we would see a dog along side the road helping himself to a free meal. There were giant dog tracks walking right into my chicken run. HUGE! i have a 110lb lab and they were about the size of his feet. i know this dog is prob going to come back and claim the rest of my flock and there is just nothing i can do. i feel awful. but i know that my girls, including tonya have had the best care and a very good life. i just wish it wasn't cut so short. she's the hen in my avatar. i was hoping this day would never come, but mark my words, if i see this dog, i't's taget practice for me!
    [​IMG]

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    How was the dog able to walk into your chicken run? Did he break down the gate? Dig under? Sorry for your loss.

3. peeboo

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    i leave my run open. they free range, i've attached my run to my deck and there's a little door i leave open for my girls. since we dont have very many predators, or HAVEN'T in the past, i wasn't worried and they loved going from house to house picking up treats from the neighbors. but now that you mention it, there was a spot where the chicken wire was mangled, pulled away and off the post, i thought it was my little pitbull who did that while he was on his chain, but i think now he was unrightly punished for the deed.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. peeboo

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    Thanks, i just hope this isn't going to be an ongoing thing, with the predator returning day after day.

6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    From the looks of your pick your hen my need a drink after that attack. She is looking pretty hard at that can of PBR.

7. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Sorry for your loss, I have black sex links too, I'd be crushed if I'd loss them. I did loose some guineas awhile back to "free ranging" neighbor dogs too, time to sit on the back porch while rocking a rifle! [​IMG]

8. I had a fox (maybe a dog, but doubt it) take three of my chickens a day or so ago. I am waiting for the beast with my pistol.

I have seen a fox around the barn on some mornings and put a bit of buckshot in its butt. Now that it has killed, it will be killed.

9. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. That just makes me [​IMG]

Hang in there!

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost one a few months back to a possum durring the night. She was my favorite so i know how you feel. It's tuff. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by