Chicken Talk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yakibert, Jun 1, 2008.

1. yakibert

yakibert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Whidbey Island, Wa
    Some birds have definate "languages" ...quail being one of them with a few vocalizations that mean specific things.

How about Chickens? Do they have specific "words" or sounds with specific meanings?

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Hens will call their chicks, 'come eat this bug' and they also let you know when they've laid an egg. You can also tell when they are angry at one another!

3. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Roosters make a gargling sound to show the hens where the good food is. Sometimes he picks it up and gives to one. The hens say he is such a fine pimp. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my, yes they have a language for everything. I have to laugh while at the Poultry Show in Windsor, Me. We have Americauna/cross chickens, had 1 blue roo. He was a sweet talker, walking up to the girls and bok bok bahbok, even walking up to me with that sweet talk.
    I was back to this cage, backed up to allow someone to pass by when I heard bok bok bahbok....turning around it was a beautiful Americauna roo!
    Aparently that is the friendly hi baby talk! It was just tooo funny!
    So yes, they have different types of conversations, meanings and even if you don't want to be like me...sitting in the chicken yard, copying the chicken sounds, they seem to enjoy any conversation that you have.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My big blue orp cockeral will coo at baby chicks in the pen next him. Different vocalizations when he 'talks' to the hens or other cockerals. Chickens do have a language all their own.

6. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I recall reading something on the internet some time ago that researchers have found that chickens have a much more complex "language" than they had thought. I'd love to find that article again-or an update to it.

7. yakibert

yakibert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Whidbey Island, Wa
    Rte.66_chicks :

I recall reading something on the internet some time ago that researchers have found that chickens have a much more complex "language" than they had thought. I'd love to find that article again-or an update to it.

If you ever find it, please post. ..or provide the link. That would be good reading.​

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
  9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My biggest wonder is the sound my silkie rooster makes when everything is good......all is quiet and his girls are all getting along. He will stand tall looking over his coop and girls and make a very very quiet peaceful sound as if he is content. Might be that is exactly what it means.......but i love listening to him. Does anyone know what i mean?

10. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    My buff Orpingtons are my most talkative . When one of the sisters is on the nest at roosting time her buddy will stand close to the door and talk so intent to me , telling me her bud isn't on the roost poles. They will look you in the eye and carry on a long conversation. ( i just wish i could understand all of it )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by