chicken talk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tblee, Oct 16, 2013.

1. tblee

tblee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    lowestoft England
    Hi
    Has anyone noticed how their chickens talk about food, whenever I want my chickens to come back into their run after free rangeing I always use a treat to bring them in the general routine is one chicken comes up to check out what the treat is and depending on what I have got will result in all chickens come running back or I will have to go and round them up greens and corn are always gauarnteed to bring chickens running back to their run where as other treats normally only bring a few back my garden is very long so it's a chore to try and round them all up but I guess they must have different vocal calls for corn compared to other calls for other veggies like carrots, has anyone else got any info on how they speak to each other as I'm really intrested on their communication behaviours

2. Tweety64

Tweety64 New Egg

May 1, 2010
    My hens love wheat bread and scratch. If I shake the bag of scratch, they come pretty quickly. I haven't noticed them "talking" about food, but they have a pretty loud "laying song."

3. tblee

tblee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    lowestoft England
    Hi thanks for taking the intrest, have you noticed any different sounds for different types of food as this is what I've been noticing with my flock
    I've got a mixed flock of 14 which 3 of them are cockereals and I have been trying to do some research on this subject and I read that the males will give a certain call to his girls if he finds something nice but thats not whats been going on with my lot,whoever comes back to the run to check out what treats I have varies between the fock but on average its usually one of my little pekins but I'm just trying to get more info on chicken language as I know a lot is going on there and also noticed the various sounds between the breeds as I've watched my orpingtons talking to my polish and its slower than when my orpintons talk to each other its fasinating really im just curious if anyone else has picked up on this with their flock

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by