1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chicken teeth on Discovery

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JennsPeeps, Sep 15, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    There's this program on Discovery right now (Dinosaurs: Return to Life?) where a researcher is injectin a virus into a chicken egg and essentially turning off a supression gene. The result is a chick with teeth. http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=mutant-chicken-grows-alli

They
    didn't say that they allowed the chicks to hatch. Can you imagine a chicken with teeth?!?! They're dangerous enough with just beaks!!

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    oh my word. my meaties would eat my legs and hands. i almost lost a finger today just because i held the mighty food scoop...i cannot imagine the damage.

how in the world would they chew??? their anatomy doesn't allow for it. also, then what would happen to their gizzard/crop?

weird science!

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's really interesting! Next the researcher regressed the leg scales to get them to sprout as feathers instead.

The premis of the show is that unlocking DNA is the secret to recreating dinosaurs.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    didn't he read Jurasic Park?

what the heck are we gonna do with dinosaurs? but it is very interesting. amazing what can be learned.

5. Alpha Roo

Alpha Roo Songster

Sep 10, 2008
    Apple Valley, CA
    New breed..

Lions and tigers and KILLER CHICKENS oh my!

6. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Songster

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    two of mine were biting me the other day when i was trying to change their water. And i was thankful they didn't have teeth!

seriously though, why do we want to recreate dinosaurs? Just because we can? That's not a good enough reason...

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Songster

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I saw that last night as well and I thought of all you other BYCers out there [​IMG] Cool stuff!!!!

8. Jashdon

Jashdon Songster

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Yikes, I keep imagining my chickens turning into veloceraptor type creatures and eating me. SCARY!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  9. Jilara

Jilara Songster

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    You ever see some of those game breeds with the upright stance and meaty legs? Just give them teeth, and you've got a veloceraptor with feathers!

10. momofdrew

momofdrew Songster

Totally scary!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: