Chicken that cant really move, who has a purple comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sebright18, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Sebright18

Sebright18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    My battery hen has recentely not been able to move even though she still drinks and eats. Her comb is beginning to go purple! Help me!? Whats wrong with her?! Can I save her?! Please explain to me in detail what is wrong with her!

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Can you post a picture?

Maybe its a vitamin deficiency? I have no idea but I will bump you to the top.

3. Sebright18

Feb 8, 2012
    Yep here are some photos of her, her comb doesnt look purple in the picture, but it is if you see it. All of are chickens are running around in the garden now, she is scratching around but really slowly. It seems as if she cant swallow but it might me just imangning. Thanks! I hope there will be a cure because she is such a wild thing!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Sebright18

Feb 8, 2012
    I have posted some pictures

5. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    Have you checked her for lice or mites? I'd start there. Those creepy crawlers can really suck the life out of chickens.

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    x2

I have some random purple combs in my coop, they go away though. I think it might be because of the cold, but they dont have any other symptoms and no mites.

Check for mites around the eyes, vents and legs.

Has she lost any weight?

7. Sebright18

Feb 8, 2012
    I dont atcually no she has a lump on.side if throst as if there is a absis ...

8. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    That lump might be her crop, where she stores her food. I'd check her over really well for lice and/or mites.

9. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    what is a battery hen??

10. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    I know this is a pretty old thread but for others that are looking for the same answer and have the same problem Ill try to answer this for you.

Purple comb is a comman sign of Meireks (spelling) in chickens and birds but also can be vitimen deficincys or dehydration. If her parlisis comes with the purple comb it most likely is mericks but also could be a defisincy. Check her crop to see if it is empty in the morning because dehydration from a impacted crop can cause purple comb. See if you can seperate her from the others and give her some antibiotic and some treats.

Sorry about my horrible spelling, im used to the auto corrwect on ipads and im using a computer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by