Chicken that can't stand and smells like crap!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherlovesherBirds, May 22, 2019.

1. HeatherlovesherBirds

HeatherlovesherBirds Songster

Mar 22, 2019
    Maine
    Hi everyone! Can someone give me an idea of what could be going on with this hen. tonigt when I went out to the chicken house to shut the coop. I noticed that I had a buff orpington still in the Run just laying there she can't stand or anything... She was laying there like she died while dust bathing. When I approached her I noticed she was actually still alive so I picked her up and brought her in the house. I did a full examination and couldn't find anything wrong with her other than she stunk really bad and extremely weak...she wasn't egg bound and not swollen between the legs. Her comb is red . She is not sneezing and does not have a runny nose..and no discharge from the eyes or anyting...but I did notice her crop was completely empty... She has no lice or mites. The smell is almost unbearable. Thank in advance!

BarnhartChickens98 likes this.
  2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Does the smell seem to come from the mouth or vent?

Lizzy733 likes this.
  3. HeatherlovesherBirds

Mar 22, 2019
    Maine
    It actually seems like it's coming from both... It so strange...her crop is completely empty..so not sour crop...

4. Lizzy733

Lizzy733 Chirping

Nov 13, 2018
    New Zealand
    Yeah agree with that; try to find the source of the smell. Perhaps an infected injury? See if you can find any localized fever if there aren't any obvious visible signs. Definitely try to get a DIY Electrolyte down her if you can. If she's too weak to drink, you can use a syringe - eye dropper - nasal aspirator... whatever's available to squirt it to the side of her mouth - this should ensure it's not accidentally inhaled.
    How were the other girls tonight? Did they seem agitated at all?

gtaus and BarnhartChickens98 like this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Look under her wings, under her vent, and all over for an infected wound. Flystike from maggot infestation can be common when flies are out in warm weather. It can occur on a poopy butt or on a wound. Rooster surs or a hawk or other predator injury can be common. Smell around the beak for sour crop, smell the skin, and look at droppings.

gtaus and Criticalicious like this.
  6. HeatherlovesherBirds

Mar 22, 2019
    Maine
    I did that itsi the strangest thing she has no injuries..... hopefully she didn't have something that spreads...she is free of pain now. My son is 11 and is on a class trip he is going to be so upset Everytime he goes away something happens to one of his chickens....he named he baby yellow she was 5 years old :'(

7. HeatherlovesherBirds

Mar 22, 2019
    Maine
    I am going to spread hay today in run and bleach water and food...and clean chicken coop.... should I put them on antibiotics all of them since I couldn't find anything wrong.....I am worried she was normal yesterday morning when I let them all out...I know they hide injury and sickness well...but wow just wow....

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

HeatherlovesherBirds likes this.
  9. HeatherlovesherBirds

Mar 22, 2019
    Maine
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: