Chicken that is broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JensHens, Apr 18, 2007.

1. JensHens

JensHens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    My chicken is about 1 year old and she is a black Sex-Link. She is broody but she isn't brooding. We have no rooster and she has no eggs to sit on. If I put some fertilized eggs under her and she hatches them, will she accept them as her own? I have 5 other chickens in the coop and the pecking order is already established. I am not sure what to do with the chicks after they hatch and what the others may do to them.[​IMG] Please note that I am the newest newbie ever and have no idea what to do. Just looking for some advice.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If you get her some eggs, more than likely she will sit on them and hatch them. Yes, she will take the chicks as her own. Some chickens are great foster mommies and will take chicks that are already hatched.
    You would have to remove her so she can sit on her eggs. A rabbit cage or something small like that will work well. She won't move around much and will only get off her nest once a day for about 30 minutes to eat, drink and poop.
    I kept my broody in the house. She was the most comfortable with a towel over her cage so she could "hide". Now that the babies are here, she is ok with us sitting next to her and watching. She is alright (not great, but alright) with us taking pictures and touching her babies.
    Good luck with your broody! They are a lot of fun.

3. JensHens

JensHens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    Thank you so much. [​IMG] I am very young and new to this. Just one question about the chicks though. What do I do after they are born and how do i reintroduce their mother and how to I introduce the babies?[​IMG]

4. bonbon31316

bonbon31316 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2007
    Ludowici Georgia
    I have a Blacktail white Jap hen that just hatched 4 chicks, She is very nervous and skittish so I could never catch her to put her in her own pen even while she was broody. I had to leave her in with her Roo. I fixed the pen with chicken wire and hardware mesh so the chicks would not go in the other pens with the other chickens but they always seem to find their way in. I was so scared, I thought for sure the other chicken would tear them to pieces but they just walk around in between their feet, the chickens dont seem to mind they even find treats for them. I also added three EE chicks, I thought maybe she would take them in...not a chance. She wont let them anywhere near her 4 chicks so her Roo is taking care of them. I didnt know Roosters had motherly instincts. It's funny to watch them follow him around. He wont let me touch them it's been about a week since I put them in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by