Chicken that looks like it has no balance

sunshynertc

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
California
Hi,

One of my year old hens was laying in the backyard and looks like it has no sense of balance. She was sitting with her mouth open. I gave her some liquid, and she seems to get some more balance back. My hens are kind of free range in that they have half of the back yard to run around it. I have a quarter of an acre.

If she is not eating how do I get food into her. I have a syringe that I am using to give her water.

Thanks

Hi,

One of my year old hens was laying in the backyard and looks like it has no sense of balance. She was sitting with her mouth open. I gave her some liquid, and she seems to get some more balance back. My hens are kind of free range in that they have half of the back yard to run around it. I have a quarter of an acre.

If she is not eating how do I get food into her. I have a syringe that I am using to give her water.

Thanks

Can you cage her inside for monitoring? What does her poop look like? Is her crop full, empty, squishy? How is her breathing? Look in her mouth/ throat for mucous or lesions. Are her eyes and nares normal, not runny or crusty? Look in her ears for infection. Are her feet functioning normally? Most important at the moment is hydration but tube feeding might be needed. Post again with more info, we are here for you.

I looked for injuries but I could not find any. How do I check her ears? Her feet are curled in as if they are not working so she is just sitting in the cage. Her mouth seems dry, she looks like she is struggling to breath since her mouth is open all the time. I have her in the cover back patio by the door to monitor her.

I am giving her water. How often do I need to give her water with a tube?

Thanks

I looked for injuries but I could not find any. How do I check her ears? Her feet are curled in as if they are not working so she is just sitting in the cage. Her mouth seems dry, she looks like she is struggling to breath since her mouth is open all the time. I have her in the cover back patio by the door to monitor her.

I am giving her water. How often do I need to give her water with a tube?

Thanks

Hmmm. She may have mareks. Do you know anything about that? if you pick her up, will she curl her feet around your arm or no? To look in her ears, move the flaps, they have a rather regular ears under there. Here is a list of 3 people who are more experienced than I am. For Mareks: @seminolewind For tube feeding: @casportpony For extra info on many things: @Eggcessive
In the meantime, if you have any polyvisol or B vitamins, add them to the water. Vitamin deficiencies can cause neurological symptoms. I hope I have helped somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom