Chicken that pokes a hole in her egg

D3invertebrates

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
Brookshire, TX
Hi, I have a hen thats about 9 months old now that ever so often she has poked a hole in her egg its just a small hole shes not trying to eat it or anything and it has only been her eggs even when there are others eggs in the box, and lately she started doing it almost everyday. I think maybe she started doing it more now because I just built some new nest boxes for them to lay in, im hoping shell get her act together or Im not sure what Ill do. Any ideas on how to modify this behavior or why she may be doing it in the first place?
IMG_0822.jpg

My girls do that sometimes too. I think that it is just on accident when they are eating little insects or pieces of grain....I don't think its a behavior you can modify unless there is some kind of reinforcement for the behavior...

I don't think the holes poked in the egg are intentional. Is it possible the shell is a bit thinner and as she tries to move the egg it gets a hole poked in it? I have one hen that consistently lays eggs with thinner shells. Her eggs are the only ones that I have ever seen with holes in them. You might try offering a bit of oyster shell, it can help with strengthening the shells.

Back
Top Bottom