chicken that's not eat but drinks lots

I will get that at my Fleet farm! Do you think it is water belly?
Also Thank you so much!
It probably is water belly. There is no cure for water belly sadly. Water belly is usually a symptom of something else going on like cancer or a reproductive issue. You can drain her abdomen to make her more comfortable, she can live much longer if you drain her.

Your welcome!

Take a look at this thread.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ascites-relief-did-i-do-it-right.1518677/

Last edited:
Ok Thank you so much! You have helped a lot! How does water belly happen?
Your welcome, glad to help!

I don't fully understand how water belly/ascites happens myself. @azygous, @Wyorp Rock, and @Eggcessive can explain it much better than I can.

Here's something I found from an article.->

Ascites is a condition caused by yellowish-colored fluid from the liver accumulating in the chicken's abdominal (or peritoneal) cavity, and is commonly the result of pulmonary hypertension syndrome.

When the body isn't circulating oxygen fast enough, the heart works overtime to push oxygen-rich blood throughout the body. This puts added stress on the liver, which then begins to leak fluid into the abdomen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It says that the liver leaks the fluid which goes into the abdomen, but the liver isn't working because of something else going on, usually something reproductive going on I think.

By bloated, do you mean that her lower belly is enlarged, down between her legs? If she has that, it can be from either ascites or internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis. Ascites is a common finding in hens over 3 who may have heart failure, cancer, liver disease, or egg yolk peritonitis. You or a vet can withdraw fluid with an 18 gauge needle occasionally if there is labored breathing or the belly is very tight. If pictures of her belly show this enlargement or bloating, please post one.

Back
Top Bottom