Chicken threw up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenAl, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Don't know if this is anything wo worry about, but one of out chickens threw up a small bit of what looked like water. I happened to see it and got a little concerned. She appears to be fine, and I have never seen his before and wondered if it happens occasionally and if it is normal.

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I've seen this before as well, in our case, it happened when picking them up after drinking. If they can't (or don't) tilt their heads enough to allow the water to pass, it will come right back out. I think that's what you're seeing.

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Thanks, that makes me feel better. They were in the coop cooling off and one came to the pop door and out came the water. I don't know if she just took a drink but it makes sense.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Even in my short experience, I saw this one time. It was very clear or maybe clear green.

Chicken has been fine with no problems and this was 6 weeks ago or more. Infact, she was on the nest box when I left the house this morning. Hopefully it is just a natural process.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I've seen it happen when a bird drinks too much and bends down to peck the ground. One also did this when my DD picked her up after drinking. Mine developed no issues afterward.

6. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Yes, I have one hen in particular that does this after she drinks a lot of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by