1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken throwing up blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roymchll, Dec 21, 2010.

1. roymchll

roymchll New Egg

Jul 2, 2010
    I went to check on my chickens tonight. I filled the waterer and they were all drinking. I noticed one of my hens had some feathers on her back that were looking pretty rough, like the rooster was at her a little too much. I went to pick her up to inspect her. I picked her up as usual, wrapping my hands around her wings and picking her up. I began inspecting her and she was making a growling/gargling noise and pecking my arm. I wanted to settle her while I inspected her so held her upside down by her feet/legs. She immediately had blood pouring out, gross to say, but like a tea kettle, out of her mouth. I righted her immediately and it stopped. I put her in a cage in the house to keep her away from the others, and to monitor her. She's was puffed up for a while. She's quiet right now.

She is normally very tame and lets me handle her, so her behavior isn't much different otherwise. I checked out her body, her vent, and her butt to make sure it wasn't something else. I also checked her crop and it feels fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I live in Maine. The temp has been low, but I have a heat lamp on 24/7 and heated waterer. The temp in the coop stays roughly between 25-40 degrees. The chicken was born in March and has been laying regularly...any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry I haven't a clue, sure doesn't sound good though does it?

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    This is something I've never heard of.
    The only thing I could think of would be internal injury. Gee, I wish I could help you out, but this is one for someone more experienced than me.

4. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I don't know if this will help much:

This is the story of Chirpy the rooster. My grandfather's farm equipment used to sit at a shop that has become overrun with weeds and all kinds of broken down equipment.
    The other day some workers brought a tractor in to help clear some room, and pushed an old liquid tanker out of the way. There was a scorpion under 3/4 tires, and this wandering rooster, Chirpy, ate all three.

He disappeared the next day. Nobody saw him, or heard him crow for three weeks, when he made his return, a very very skinny rooster. He still hasn't crowed 8 months later, though he has regained all his previous attitude (prancing around like he owned the place).

As far as something like that being the culprit, I don't know.

Once I tipped one of my hens upside down when I was inspecting her and she spit up a lot of water.

Good luck though.

5. roymchll

roymchll New Egg

Jul 2, 2010
    Thank you, the thread was very similar. This one mentioned ILT, but I am sure it isn't that.

An update, she is still in the house, not vomiting or coughing blood, has not laid an egg, has been drinking water fine, her comb is starting to look more red and she is moving better. She had some corn this morning, but is not really wanting to eat her feed.

Also, I just changed the coop bedding two days ago, so it is clean. And as for the scorpions, we don't have them in my area...

Thank you everyone for your input, it is much appreciated!

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah, just act as if, maybe a little antibiotic wouldn't hurt.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I am so glad she isn't getting worse!!! [​IMG]

I hope she gets better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by