chicken throwing up?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sightseeyeer, Mar 3, 2014.

1. sightseeyeer

sightseeyeer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2013
    Hi, my chicken began throwing up today, it's food with some extra saliva and she is doing an awkward side head bob thing right before she throws up, it looks like she is pushing up the food.. she is running around like normal and her voice sounds right. I have isolated her just in case, she will be 1 on may 1st.
    Her poop is SLIGHTLY more white than normal, not anymore runny though.Please help!! I don't know what to do?!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. sightseeyeer

Sep 8, 2013
    She is a brown leghorn

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. sightseeyeer

Sep 8, 2013
    I checked and it is hard...

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The main thing to do with an impacted crop is to get them to drink water, and massage the crop several times a day. It is more important to have only wate for thefirst day. Check the crop in the early morning to see if it has gone down. Keep the water going, dip it's beak to drink. Then only offer foods like yogurt, raw or scrambled egg, apple sauce, and feed mixed with wate, but no whole grains. Massage downward. If impacted crop persists, it may require crop surgery from a vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by