Chicken Time in Saint Paul, MN!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fiddlercricket, Oct 16, 2013.

1. fiddlercricket

fiddlercricket New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Just wanted to say "hello"...

I'm Patricia in Saint Paul, MN. In the backyard I have 4 beautiful hens, hatched in late April 2013! So, at this time, they are nearly 6 months. Two of them are Buff Orpingtons, and the other two are Barred Plymouth Rocks.
    The Buffs started laying a few weeks ago. No eggs yet from the Barred Rocks. [​IMG] But I love them all, no matter what.

My chickens love almost any kind of snack-- plain yogurt, meat, veggies, fruits, stale bread, bugs...

This coming Minnesota winter will be a new experience-- keeping the girls warm and snug in their coop, which I have yet to insulate (or even research the topic, which is why I joined BackYard Chickens).

I don't have any current pics, but I'll keep coming back here.

2. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    Welcome and congratulations on your beautiful flock! We'd love to see pictures [​IMG] , too! Just a few hours north of you and yes, chicken keeping in Minnesota winters has its challenges but you've got breeds that should be able to handle it without much problem.

1 person likes this.
  3. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! I was surprised by the comments of one forum member who lives in Canada & has been raising chickens for years. She said that she insulates the coop in the winter and gathers eggs promptly (so they won't freeze), but doesn't provide heat lamps or other heat sources. I can't remember her avatar, but I was sure interested in what she said.

1 person likes this.
  4. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    We insulate our coops, but do not provide heat lamps unless they are young and not fully feathered out yet. We do provide extra straw/bedding when it gets to the -20 to -40 degrees below. The chickens produce quite a bit of heat themselves.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Trust in 'coldupnorth,' chickens do produce a lot of heat so you need good ventilation to dissipate condensation inside & ward off frostbite

1 person likes this.
  6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.