Chicken toe injury

GrantKazSpaz

Chirping
Jul 13, 2018
I came out today to check on my chickens after school today, and I noticed one of my girls limping. I picked her up to see what was wrong, and saw that both her feet were covered in gunk. It had been around 50 degrees Fahrenheit the last few days, and rainy, so the ground was all wet and muddy and the poop around the coops had mixed in there. But when the chickens came out this morning and stepped in that mess, it started to get cold and snow, so the stuff froze on their feet. Anyways, I looked at both her feet and noticed I could see bright red blood underneath one toe nail. The nail itself also seemed to be darker than the other nails. I picked her up and brought her to our outside faucet, washed her feet off the best I could (she doesn’t like me holding her and she doesn’t like water, so she kept trying to jump or fly away every 5 seconds, so I couldn’t clean it off very well), and then I sprayed her toe with Vetericyn, the EYE kind. When I put her back in the coop, she sat down where I couldn’t reach her so I can’t get pictures. She also sometimes clawed at the air with her hurt foot. Is this a big enough injury to make her limp? Will it get if infected? Did I do enough?

Soak the foot in warm water and maybe with some Epsom salt. Then try to get some pictures, if you can, so we can asses the condition. It might be bumblefoot with something else; do you see bumps on the foot or brown plugs on the bottom?

No. I just noticed it today so I don’t think it would get infected that quickly. It’s also not a lot of blood, just a bit under the nail. The part I’m worried about is the limping.

Here are the best pictures I could get. She was shaking and the camera wouldn’t focus.
upload_2018-12-5_16-7-58.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-5_16-8-12.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-5_16-8-12.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 1
Soaked her a tried to clean it out, but I was holding her and my idiot brother did a terrible job at that

It looks like the nail is broken off and the skin around it is really irritated because of the dirt/poop/etc. Make sure the other birds have clean, dry areas. As for the affected chicken, soak in Epsom salt one more time and then apply an antibacterial and make sure she stays on clean bedding to help prevent infection.

Back
Top Bottom