chicken toys and treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rooster#3, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Rooster#3

Rooster#3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    wisconsin
    I was wondering what i could give,hang,feed to my chickens to keep them occoupied.could i put in dog toys or hang a bell?my winter coop isint verry big and it is about 2.5 feet tall. any comments are appreciated

2. Britgal65

Britgal65 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have hung a head of cabbage. Put a hole through the middle and push string through it, tie it off and hang it up. Keeps mine occupied for ages. I am about to try a cat treat ball with some meal worms in it. I figured this time of year they would like the extra protein. I also hide treats in flower pots etc in the run to give them something to look for.

3. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I hung a bell made out of black oil sunflower seeds right beyond them so my 5 standard girls had to stretch/jump a bit. It was like 4 or 5 dollars and was gone in a couple hours! Tried suet feeders filled with veggies, they hate veggies and did not touch it.[​IMG]
    Hopefully others will have some good ideas...

4. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    You can make your own bird bells made from seeds for under .50 a batch, the most costly thing about it is the gelitin. I make my own for my cockateils.

5. MimiChick

MimiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Glocester, RI
    I got one of those little open wire balls with a bell on the bottom, I think it's a hamster treat ball, and I fill it with spinach, cabbage or other green leafy veggies packed in tightly. I hung it just a bit over their heads so they would stretch a little to get it and it's been a big hit. Since I only have 4 girls it's just enough for them and they seem to really like it. It only cost a couple of dollars at the pet store so could get a few and hang them in different places if you wanted. Happy ChickieGirls [​IMG]

6. brewmiss96

brewmiss96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    I've done the tetherball cabbage thing before, I like the idea of the greens treat ball... has anyone tried putting treat holders up on roosts? Like they have to fly/climb to get it?

7. Rooster#3

Rooster#3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    wisconsin
    thanks

8. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    For what its worth, my birds go insane for cabbage. Since its so cheap at this time of year, I get one every time I go to the store and they demolish it in a day. They peck at it, and also grab pieces and run off and generally have a good time.

9. RuffledFeathers

RuffledFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    My flock will work on a pie pumpkin for hours- for these choosy girls, it has to be a PIE (sugar) pumpkin and not a regular old halloween pumpkin. I cut out a few chunks and sometimes throw some greens inside. They eat the flesh and also love the seeds. I guess I could try a squash next, as they like the higher sugar content, apparently. I agree with the cabbage- I feed cabbage every day along with a whole apple.

10. faerielady

faerielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I can't seem to find a recipe for the bird bells that contain gelatin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by