Chicken toys

But of course, too many treats is not a good thing! Sprinkling some of their regular feed on the floor or ground encourages scratching, a good chicken skill, without giving them treats. (Too many treats means they don't eat enough of their feed, missing out on the carefully-formulated combination of protein, fiber, vitamins, etc. in the feed.)

Some people hang up a cabbage and let the girls peck it to death. Others use a suet cage (like for birdfeeders) and stuff some vegetable or another in it (like lettuce or other greens) and the chickens are challenged by it.

If they have something to roost on in the run, they really like that. Like a log, stump, or even a big rock or two.

I recommend you take a tray, like a rubber boot mat tray and fill it with play sand, then place a few rocks and stones, then put some food and seed into sand. they will enjoy the work of looking for the food in the sand and around the stones. Also you can make ramps and underpasses with planks of wood and put treats for them to get at in various places.
BTW that Suet cage idea is great I'm going to try that this weekend......

So first i built my girls a swing. they are yet to use it to this day. After that I tried this "jungle gym" with some beech logs I had laying around. They us it everyday. I agree with the suggestions for setting up some dust baths too. That's a hen's idea of a party!
IMG_20200327_171555_265.jpg

Back
Top Bottom