1. NickyNawlins

NickyNawlins Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Louisiana
    I was thinking about making some toys for my chickens.
    Even chickens need a lil entertainment too.
    Does anybody have any ideas for chicken toys?
    I was thinking maybe some toys similar to parrot toys like a rope with shinny bells on it.
    I was thinking about a swing roost too but would that be good for Buff Orpingtons?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My dad raised thousands of chickens and he said the chickens favorite things to play with was hanging food! lol Hang a head of lettuce from a string (or your chickens favorite food) and they play with it and eat it all day long.

3. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Yep, from an early age, hang a bunch of greens so they have to hop to get a piece and they will be entertained right up till it falls off the twine.

I get produce scraps every day and tie up a bundle and let it hang in the coop, brooder or whereever they are no matter the age.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We use a "suet cage" to hang goodies in the runs, works like a charm.

We also set up outdoor roosts in the runs.

Our latest homegrown toy is a bunch of weeds with root clods of dirt...endless entertainment as the pillbugs, grubs and worms hide in the dirt further as the gang attacks the outer edges.

Dawn

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I used to make toys for the parrots at my work, and we would hand food or food puzzles for the tops of there cages they really seemed to like that.

I think chickens would love hanging food toys, You could try filling a old toilet paper tube with food and tieing the ends shut, it's like a pinata.

Or just hanging veggies or fruit from a string.

6. Jennym

Jennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    How about for 4 day old baby chicks? They seem like they want to play as one jumped on my wrist this morning as I put my arm in the brooder. Not sure if it'smy white leghorn or my plymouth rock.
    Maybe some parrot toys like a ball or rope?[​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  8. grammachickens

grammachickens New Egg

May 28, 2008
    All chickens must have toys! Starting when they are young, these intelligent creatures must be challenged, intrigued, and amused in order to become happy chickens. With toys, they fight less and don't have "chicken blues". The ones I like most are the hanging canary-type toys (with millet) and the rattling plastic balls from the cat toy section. For about $1 each, the balls are the best investment!

I have pictures and video of chickens playing!
    - grammachickens

9. LovinMyChickies

LovinMyChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    I had several of those corn cob cages that they sell with near the bird food.
    (I think you put dried corn cobs and birds eat them etc...) But, my wild birds did'nt seem to like them.

So, I hung them in the run and put a fresh ear of corn in each one. The chickies loved it! It's like watching chickie pinata.

10. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    LOL I have parrot toys hung in the brooder....DH said I was nuts.....I said that they were less likely to get into trouble, peck at each other, ect if they had something to do......they love them! I highly reccomend the ones with mirrors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by