1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I have a new run connected to my chicken coop and want to spice it up for the young chickens. I was wondering if any of you have experience in what things chickens might like to fly to, crawl through, hide behind, etc. Any ideas? Thank you!

2. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    We had to cut down several trees when we constructed our run. We cut them flat and left them about 10 inches high. We put a board on top and use one to sit our waterer. We found an old wooden ladder on our property. My DH was going to burn it...but we had an idea. We took metal brackets and bracketed the ladder to the extra stump to make a perch for the girls. They LOVE jumping up on the ladder!!! We just integrated 12 9 weeks olds and they were so excited when they found the ladder. Up and down....down and up.......then 'fly' and run about!! The older girls sit on the ladder in the cool of the morning and evening. That's where they 'preen' and look around......

3. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    There are a couple of sheets of leaning plywood in there temporarily and they love the 'tunnels'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by