Chicken toys

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mollycat79, Dec 30, 2012.

1. mollycat79

mollycat79 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Anyone give their hens some sort of toys to play with?

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    usually I just get an entire head of cabbage, or lettuce, and put it on a stick and hang it from their coop/run. They have a ball trying to peck the food ball. It reduces boredom, and it feeds them a treat!

3. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

I hang bird seed block, suet blocks, broccoli, etc for them to entertain themselves with, especially during the winter or when they don't get to spend much time outside.

4. I throw them half a flake of straw with some scratch on top of it. They'll spend an entire day making sure they get EVERY. SINGLE. seed. They like alfalfa too.. Their favorite thing is apples, which is great in the fall, because they just hang out in the orchard and eat as many apples as they can. It's really funny to grab an apple and send it rolling down a hill, they run like crazy trying to catch it. [​IMG]

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I drilled 1/4 inch holes in empty Gator Aid bottles, fill them with scratch grain and BOSS and toss them to the flock. They spend hours rolling them around with their feet and beaks to get the seeds to spill out. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Or you could just fluff up some soil and they'll be busy! [​IMG]

7. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Haha! Love the picture! :)

8. mollycat79

mollycat79 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Ooooh some good ideas!!

9. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    Great ideas!

10. Cath1

Cath1 New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    I love that idea, I am going to give that a go. I put up a mirror for them and the love spending time in front of it, when I read that they would I wasn't convinced but thought I would give it a go and they loved it (or themselves I am not sure which) !

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by