Chicken tractor and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fluffychicky, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Fluffychicky

Fluffychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    My little chooks will be making a move soon but will have to go from free ranging to penned. I would like to still give them space but funds are very limited, I need cheap but secure run ideas and I was wondering how big of a run for 9 chickens and how big of a chicken tractor for the same number. Also is a tractor a good substitute for free-range, will the chickens be as happy as they were free-ranging. I love my little babies and I want to give them the best but I'm just a poor college kid moving out for the first time so like I said money will be a concern. I would love anything any of you can help me with, thank you for your time.

2. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Minimum 3 cu ft per chicken.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Typical recommendations for space are 4 square feet per chicken in the coop and 10 square feet per chicken in the run.

Chris

4. Backyard Bob

Backyard Bob Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I will get you pictures of my runs next time I go outside!

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    After free ranging, no your chickens will not be happy in a tractor. Mine are confined to an eighty sq ft run. I had to get rid of three of my six because of aggression issues. They went from 13 sq ft each to 26 sq ft each and are good with that.They had gotten to free range for a couple of hours a day prior to being confined permanently before the issues started. Yours may do fine in the tractor, mine did not like the confinement.

6. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    Do you think a 16x20 or 20x20 run will be ok...I really wish I could free range them but fencing in the property is beyond my financial ability right now. How safe is it to free range them without a fence as long as I'm out there watching?

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Wild predators shouldn't be a problem, but PET dogs often aren't deterred by human presence

Hawks can be a threat with you standing beside the birds

8. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

With free ranging you always take a chance, I free range mine with a mature rooster. My younger second flock has a big run but I also let them have fresh grass by using a chicken tractor.

9. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    Ok so a large run should be ok, it'll be the closest they get to being free ranging once we move. I have a big wyandotte rooster who is very watchful but the new location is in a more rural area and I have seen some massive raptors flying around, what kind of netting can I put over a 20x20 run and how can I keep the netting from sagging if leaves or snow gets on it?

10. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I used chicken wire on my smaller run and used old metal poles from one of those tarp garages as support poles. My smaller run is 20'X50'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by