1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken tractor cheap, cheap

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by woodtrucker, Nov 28, 2012.

1. woodtrucker

woodtrucker Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Ok. I've been lurking for months and finally decided to join on this first day of owning chickens!
    Me and 2 of 3 kids went out and opened the coop for the first time. this morning and one of the chickens came down for a bit.
    As you can see, this is the cheapo ebay brand pawhut coop. I've made several modifications, I went through with a staple gun on the inside and reinforced the wire. Staples that were used on originally were pretty weak. Second, I mounted my PVC feeder in the coop. Then I modified the access door to provide more light. Thanks BYC for that idea! It also has a plexiglass insert to use for winter. I also added a pulley for a retractable ramp for added protection. I also reinforced the bottom with 1x4 treated lumber around the outside to stiffen up the frame a bit and allow me to mount some wheels. All in all, I've got about $300 in the coop. I'm pretty satisfied with that until I can get my 8x8 garden shed on the property and modified to accommodate the chickens. This is a temporary home for probably the next year or so. Then it might get turned into a brooder coop if I get brave enough to have a rooster and raise chicks!! Just before I shot the pic, the chicken was about halfway down the ramp when it stopped for about a 15 second stare down with the kids then she came on down to eat some grass! Buff Orpingons!
    [​IMG]

2. captdad

captdad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    Gotta love Buffs (good mothers and great entertainment). I really like your coop set up. Just move it to new pasture when needed! How many chickens can fit in it?
    If I was handy I'd make a bunch of these. Very nice.

3. woodtrucker

woodtrucker Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks, captdad. It's a mail order coop but I made some mod's to it to improve it. I bought four 6mo old buffs last night. Beautiful birds that looked very healthy! They were all huddled in one corner of the coop last night so it looks as though they have plenty of room. Yeah. I'm gonna move it to the garden as soon as they get comfortable in the new home. They are pretty scared right now so I want to do one step at a time. One thing I forgot was to put food and water in the coop before work. They have food/water outside but I think they are a bit afraid to venture out to eat right now. I'll have to rush home after work before dark and put them a bowl of food and water in the coop. need to screw down the roost pole too. they keep knocking it down... Things are going well so far!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by