Chicken Tractor Designs??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dlbeckwo, Dec 18, 2012.

1. dlbeckwo

dlbeckwo New Egg

Dec 18, 2012
    I have 11 Pullets that are about big enough to take out of the brooder and wanted to build a tractor for them for 2 reasons: 1. I love the idea of them grazing on a more natural diet, 2. I dont want to worry with introducing them too my older hens that are in a stationary coop. However I was looking for suggestions on sizes and designs. I'm a visual person and I'm tooled to build most any design just want to get some feedback before I rush to the shop and make a design that doesnt function as well as something else. Thanks ahead. Pics would be greatly appreciated.....

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    unless those are bantams, or you plan on keeping them in the tractor for only a month or so, any tractor big enough to fit that many is going to be immovable.

That being said, we built a "playhouse" style coop that we use when birds are growing out. (if you google playhouse coop you will see lots of images) I like this style because

1 it gives them room to fly a little
    2 not too hard to move
    3 I can walk into it and interact with the birds
    4 easy to clean
    5 if you decide to keep a few birds in it, its very easy to access for egg collection

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I like this tractor Personally for my use of raising meat king chickens 8 weeks.

The tractor parts list
    1. 13 pieces of 1/2" electrical conduit EMT
    2. 8 pull able 90°s for the 1/2" EMT
    3. 100' of 12 to 16 Gage galvanized steel wire.
    4. 37' of 1/2" squares hardware wire cloth
    5. 21' of 48" wide standard chicken wire (the smaller holes)
    6. 30" length of steel roofing 30" by 3'
    7. 98" length of 1" EMT the axle bushing
    8. 2 wheels with axle extending one foot out one side of each wheel
    9. a handful of 1-1/2" self tapping metal screws I like the kind that have a 5/16 nut driver head.
    10. tarp UV stable 5' by 8' or larger. has to be a rip stop type of material.
    11. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=470

Oops I just tried the link and it has been removed. You might try Private messaging buddy I imagine he still has the tractor design photos some where.

I modified his design slightly to meet my needs but I thought it was excellent. It could also be dismantled in minutes for storage when not employed.

Good luck FaykokoWV

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I agree that to hold 11 bird it will have to be a very large tractor.....However, a gentleman in my area has several smaller tractors that he can attach together and remove a side panel to make a larger tractor. He just moves each tractor individually and reattaches them in the new location. In the below pic is my tractor(his are bigger) and just think of removing a side panel on the run and mating it up to another tractor with an opening in the same area of the tractor. Just throwing it out there.....we chicken people are a unique folk.....Best of luck to you

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. dlbeckwo

dlbeckwo New Egg

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks for the quick feedback...I like your idea Hawgon i may input that. Ive also considered keeping 7 and having a normal tractor and building another tractor for my inlaws to keep at their house, trying to get them a little more prepared lol...

6. Gelotri

Gelotri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    I am in a similar situation. I have 19 birds. My plan is to make two tractors using PVC (keeps it light) and wire of course. Each will be large enough for 7 birds and will rotate the birds each day for ranging. I have a fenced yard strictly for the birds where the 10x12 coop resides. It is fenced with 4ft chained link with chicken wire attached. An aviary net prevents anything from flying in or out leaving a 50ft x 37ft run with open access to the coops bird door. So the 6 birds not in tractors will have all that space to graze. I also planted clover throughout the run (and in the rest of our yard) which should suppliment dietary needs.

We live in a residential neighborhood (small farming community) with retirees all around. so, the tractors will prevent the periodic roaming dog and prevent the birds from visiting our neighbors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by