Chicken Tractor help

Kaitie09

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2009
South Central, PA
I'm building a basic A frame chicken playpen. I have it all framed out, but I do not know where to put the door. It is for 2 chicks that are 9 week sold and skittish with people still, so I need to be able to reach in and corner them. Also, should I use bird netting, or chicken wire to cover it? they will only be out in it during the day, and will be brought inside at night. The only predators around at nocturnal, and we have 9 cats that don't bother the chicks. We also have a broody that is sitting on some eggs, and when they hatch, they will go into this pen during the day too.

hardware cloth is good. However a tractor in my opinion is not enough freedom after they are big. Will they have time out of it once. they are tame and grown? Mine has become a permanently open shelter in a fenced run. roofing it is a challenge.

Oh no, I have a real coop and run. The big coop has 18 full grown hens and a rooster in there. it is 6x10 with a 10x24 run and they free range 2-3 times a week. We have a grow-out pen in the storage portion of the big coop. This is just to let them out during the day, and to allow all the chickens to get to know each other before they go in the big coop. This is also where we will exersize broody and her babies when they hatch in about 2-3 weeks. By that time, we will have moved these 9 week olds into he big pen, and broody will be moved into the grow-out pen in the storage room.

Back
Top Bottom