Chicken tractor idea and possoms?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by babalubird, Oct 12, 2009.

1. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    OK. I'm excited, I think!

We're finally planning our first chickens, still here in the city. We have 3 dog iglus in the back yard.

Somewhere in the internet, I saw a chicken tractor you could buy that looked just like one of those small dog iglues attached to a wire run. The ad said it was for 3-4 laying hens.

We plan to take our smallest iglu that used to belong to our little deceased terrier, about 24-28 inches in diameter and put it into our large portable wire cage we used for our dobies, all deceased as well. It can be used, I think, without a floor, and is probably about 5 ft x 30 inches or 3 ft. It is tall enough, probably about 4 1/2' tall, that we could put in some perches or make it partially two story for extra chicken room. We will need to cover it with wire because the current wire squares are probably 6" x 6". We plan to buy 6 baby chickens from our ranch store, figuring because we're new at this, we will be lucky if we do salvage 4 through our learning curve.

We do have possoms occasionally in the back yard. Hubby wants to just cover the cage in chicken wire, but I was afraid a possom could chew right through chicken wire.

We plan to just put the little dog house, after a good cleaning, inside this cage for the 4 hens to lay in.

Do you all think this will work? Will chicken wire keep a possum out?

Connie

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    You may want to go with 1/2 in hardware cloth instead, its more sturdy, and the holes are smaller than chicken wire, which prevents anything from reaching in. Everything else sounds fine. Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by