Chicken Tractor in progress

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by squirtsmomma, May 23, 2016.

1. squirtsmomma

squirtsmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2015
    Southeast Kansas
    I have 4- 6 week old black australorp pullets that we wanted in their own separate girls hangout. I scrounged around the property for whole and partial pieces of wood, tin and scraps. We had most of a roll of hardware cloth left and we have a lot of night predators so we're using that instead of chicken wire. We've had some very wet weather making progress difficult but it's finally getting there. My paper design didn't quite work out the way i planned and i had to make some adjustments. So far the only thing I purchased was the 2 hinges for the nesting door. I have a hanging feeder I bought at an auction and still have to make them a water bucket using my last 2 cups. We made one for our other chickens and they love it. I have other pictures of step by step progress with measurements I'll post when I'm all done. More work to do, but here she is so far.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. squirtsmomma

squirtsmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2015
    Southeast Kansas
    [​IMG]
    This is where I was hunting down assorted pieces to cover the run.

[​IMG]
    Still trying to decide if I just want to snip off the extra tin or roll it to catch rain somehow or something else, so for now the corners are bent down for safety.
    \
    [​IMG]
    All finished, lots of adjustments along the way, but a great learning experience.

[​IMG]
    This morning all of our 10 week old girls and their "momma".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by