Chicken Tractor Made for 24 Dollars thanks to skids (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Want2BFarmer, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Want2BFarmer

Want2BFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    PA
    Here are some pictures of my recently finished tractor that was made from wood skids. I cut the skids apart and then used the pieces to construct the tractor. The only thing I bought was the 2x4's to construct the long parts of the run area. It is not the greatest tractor ever but it will work for my meat birds. I just wanted to prove that you can have chickens without having to spend a lot of money.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    Congrats on a job well done! I'm working on a big tractor, and trying to keep it under $60.
    Sorry if I sound really ignorant... but, by "skids," do you mean pallets?

3. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I was wondering the same thing. How did you get the pallets apart and the wood so nice looking? Did you do a lot of sanding?

Your tractor looks GREAT!

4. Want2BFarmer

Feb 21, 2009
    PA
    By skids I mean pallets and the wood is not the best looking .... all I did was bleach it to get it some what consistent in color and then stain. I wanted it to look rough like a old barn. Hopefully the chickens approve of their home.

5. Want2BFarmer

Feb 21, 2009
    PA
    I used a sawzall to cut the pallets a part .... took a while to do that

6. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Quote:Okay now I need directions and how do you bleach the wood? I have a big stack of old skids . Now What do I do? LOL

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Good job recycling [​IMG]

8. Clay in MS

Clay in MS Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Mendenhall, MS
    I think the chickens will appove. Good Job. I just started a "low budget" coop. I had scrap lumber lying around. I think the chicken wire will be the most expensive part of the project.

9. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    That looks nice! I have been thinking about what kind of tractor I will make for my chickies. I have a while since I haven't gotten them yet!

I was snooping around my landlord's barn (she told me I could store some stuff there) and saw some good sized chunks of scrap plywood .....hmmm... if I show her the cute little fuffy babies and tell her they will need a nice secure home when they get bigger.....and offer to clear out that part of the barn....

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nice job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by