Chicken tractor people.....a question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by harvster, Mar 26, 2011.

1. harvster

harvster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    SE PA
    What do you think the biggest problem with your chicken tractor is?

I'm going to be building one soon and am hoping to uncover some of the problems I may not have considered.

2. Rivulet

Rivulet Out Of The Brooder

I can't answer yet, because I have yet to get one, but my landlord requires that I have a tractor instead of a stationary coop so I'll be following this thread!

One thing that I'm not looking forward to is having to go out in the muddy back yard to move the thing around. (We have nice grass but it's so rainy that it doesn't stop the mud from squishing up between the blades!)

What style of tractor are you going to build?

3. harvster

harvster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    SE PA
    Quote:I plan on building a rectangular (house style) coop area with an A-frame run attached

4. newchicks5

newchicks5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    wi
    i plan on building one to ,i been looking at plans like mad 4by 6.wi

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  5. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Good Question. The biggest problem I've had with mine is it's very heavy and cumbersome, not entirely easy to move without my husband. It has two wheels on the back of the tractor and a rope on the front to pull it with. I also wished it offered a little more protection from the elements. Living in Oregon we get a lot of rain and I noticed when the tractor is in use it doesn't offer my girls any protection unless they climb up above and go into the roosting area. Last but not least I wish it had a window in the roosting area. Luckily my tractor is not my main coop, its just a secondary area used for housing chickens that need to be separated etc...

[​IMG]

6. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You won't have nice grass for long, unless you move the tractor every day or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by