chicken tractor size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dippy, Apr 25, 2008.

1. dippy

dippy New Egg

Apr 5, 2008
    Greencastle PA
    This is my first time posting a question. We are new to the chicken biz and have 5 Road island reds. would like to build a chicken tractor, but not sure of the size? How many square feet should you have for 5 chickens? Thanks

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    4 or 5 sq foot pre bird.a 4ftw by 6ftltractor will be big enough.give you close to 6sqft a bird.

3. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    My chicken tractor holds up to fifteen birds at a time and it is 18ft x 36 ft. Its very comfy for my birds cause they have never seemed uneasy about being in there and by that I mean digging trying to get out or fly to the top of the tractor searching for the skies.

4. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    Becky89* :

My chicken tractor holds up to fifteen birds at a time and it is 18ft x 36 ft. Its very comfy for my birds cause they have never seemed uneasy about being in there and by that I mean digging trying to get out or fly to the top of the tractor searching for the skies.

Wow becky!! That's aawesome ~ we have 16 hens, and are trying to figure out a way to make a tractor that will fit them in for summer ranging, and yet not take up the whole back yard. I don't think we could get away with an 18x36, our little backyard is just 4 lots wide ( about 75 ft across the back. We may have to make a tractor for just 8 at a time, I guess they can take turns tilling? Does that sound right? ~ lol I don't want to mess with their pecking order dynamics ~ do you guys know if that would mess them up?
    ~Red ~{:>)=​

5. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Becky89* :

That would be 648 sq ft, right? If you divide that by the 4 sq ft you need for each bird, you could have 162..... is that right? Or are my calculations off? I'm trying to figure out how to build myself a tractor and I'm having a hard time. I'm trying to house 15 grown chickens, and another for up to 60 chickens (until they are 4-5 months old and then I'll be splitting them into separate breeds).

How do you move yours around? Do you have pics you could post or email me?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by