Chicken Tractor Tips Please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CedarAcres, Aug 6, 2013.

1. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    I'd love to hear some tips from anyone who has a chicken tractor! I really would like to build one since we can't free range because of predators. We have four acres and it kills me that they only get to see their run. I want to make something that is easily moved (so not heavy). If anyone has any tips on what works & what doesn't with chicken tractors, I'd love to hear them!

2. Make it as lightweight as possible. Move it frequently. Easy access to get in and out from their coop/run for the chickens.

3. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Try building one out of PVC, I'm doing one out of wood and I am totally afraid that it is going to be way to heavy to move easily. Its going to be sturdy as all get out and have lots of nice features but I may not get moved nearly as much as I want to.

If you build one out of Pvc you can buy Furniture Grade PVC Fittings and make a real nice one. The same company will help you decide which pieces to use if you follow their instructions and make a Sketch-Up design file. I wish someone would make the design so I could copy it for my next one!

1 person likes this.
  4. Here a few that I have built. The bigger the wheels the better. These pics are before adding wheels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. txnative

txnative Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    Kempner, Texas
    [​IMG]

This is the one I've been using. If I had one thing to do differently it would be to make it taller for me to get in and out of, or find a way to open and close the door to their sleeping quarters without having to go inside. I'm hoping they will eventually figure out to go up the ramp to go to bed, but so far that hasn't occurred to them.

6. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Thanks for the pictures. Those all look amazing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by